Thursday, September 3, 2015

big girl bed {the transition}

We did it! We finally transitioned Mia to a big girl bed a little less than two weeks ago! If it weren't for baby brother's arrival in the coming weeks, she would probably still be in her crib, ha ha! You see, at 2 1/2 Mia has only ever climbed out of her crib once (this was months ago and she either scared herself doing it, or got hurt and hasn't tried since!) and just really loved her crib. I was a nervous wreck to switch her to a bed where Mia could enjoy all the freedoms of not being caged in, ha ha! Why fix something that isn't broken, right?


I seriously freaked myself out the weeks leading up to the transition. So much so that I couldn't make up my mind when it came to picking a bed (Eric steered me in the direction of getting a bed with drawers, a feature that we are all loving!) and I avoided taking Mia shopping to pick out her bedding. I think a tiny part of me was struggling to let go of the fact that my baby girl truly isn't a baby anymore, but I was mostly just really nervous that we wouldn't be getting any sleep for a couple of weeks with her new found freedom. Why I underestimated Mia, I'll never know!!

Mia was thrilled (an understatement) to pick out bedding for her big girl bed (and I was thrilled with her choice!) and her reaction was priceless once Eric put together her bed! She wasn't expecting the surprise when we walked in her room so she stopped dead in her tracks, took in the view of her bed then whispered, "Wow!! Dat's amaaaaazing!" My heart almost burst!! I didn't even know that she knew how to say "amazing" or what it meant, ha ha! And I love that she was so in awe of her bed that she whispered!! Oh man, her excitement had me kicking myself for waiting so long to transition!

When we tucked her into bed her first night, I explained that she had to stay in her bed and sleep (or else she would have to sleep in her crib... I couldn't help myself from threatening her a little, ha ha) all night long. She rolled right over and didn't move until she was asleep! And that's seriously how it's been ever since! Sometimes during nap time I'll see her on the monitor picking books and bringing them in bed to read until she falls asleep :) I can't believe how easy the transition was! Mia loves her bed so much, and I love how much she loves it! Hopefully potty training will go just as smoothly when the time comes (and yes, I realize at this point that I'm the one holding her back. Nothing I can do about it until after the baby comes at this point, ha ha! Sorry Mia! Momma can only handle so much change at one time!)

We decided to have the kids share a room to keep the guest room available (hint, hint! We love visitors!) so this isn't my dream bed for my dream girl, but it's pretty perfect for the time being! Our big girl is absolutely LOVING it! And when she does get her own room again? I will definitely let myself enjoy the bedroom makeover next time around ;)

30 comments:

Cory (playdates and prescriptions) said...

YAY for such a big girl. My daughter stayed in hers until over age 3 b/c she just loved it and never tried to climb out. Love the new bedding!!

sara [at] journey of doing said...

Yay!!!! So glad the transition was so smooth!! Way to go Miss Mia!! Love that bedding too - perfectly little girlie!!!

Pamela {Sequins and Sea Breezes} said...

Aww yay for her big girl bed! And love her bedding! I'm glad to hear the transition was nice and easy too, that's always a good thing!
<3, Pamela
Sequins & Sea Breezes

K said...

I would have been nervous too! Our babysitter's son had a toddler bed and my son just used it as a trampoline (much like he uses his crib...) so I am SO nervous for the transition! I'm so happy for you that Mia rocked it! Although, I'm sure it's sad to see how big she really is! I just hung on to bottles for WAY too long because I wasn't ready. It's hard on us Mamas! Especially with the first!

P!nky said...

Hoooooray for a big girl bed and Mia continuing to be the champ she is about everything baby brother related. I LOVE the bed and bedding [le duh] and her 'dats amazing' is soooooooooooo stinking precious. Glad to hear the visitor's bedroom is open, I need to plan my visit :)!

Caroline @ Windy City Chic said...

Aww soo cute!!! YAY for Mia being excited about her big girl bed too!! :-)

Jenn said...

OMG she looks SO TINY in that big girl bed!!! :)

Elizabeth [Chasin' Mason] said...

YAY!!!! So glad the transition went well and the fact that she walked into her room and said "wow, dat's amazing!" is so cute!!! She must have been SO excited!
We actually went looking at big boy beds this past weekend because while we transitioned Mason to his toddler bed but he's quickly outgrowing it! We went to Ikea but I'm not sure we want to go that route but I have don't know where else to look! Where did you guys buy her bed?

Hilary said...

Aww, yay Mia! My biggest fear with transitioning to a "big kid" bed is that my son can get out of the bed and go somewhere. We may have to invest in a baby gate for his doorway!

elle jo said...

So glad Mia loves her bed! I'm a little jealous of that amazing bed :)

We're trying to keep Sophie in her crib forever (kidding), at least another year I hope! She has only climbed out successfully twice but when she's thought about it and attempted we tell her no in a stern voice through the monitor and she gets down. But now she doesn't even try.

liz jo @ sundays with sophie

Whitney @ Work it Mommy said...

Her bedding and bed are darling! I love the rouching, so feminine. That transition is a big one, congrats!

Chrissy@SimpleJoysBlog said...

Elin didn't transition until that time either and the only issues are her bringing books in her bed and she does get up earlier now, thus getting us up earlier. :)

Nina Robinson said...

Love that bed/bedding! Glad she loved the transition. I've been putting off potty training too. Being chained to the bathroom + a newborn seems like way too much work.

Brittany said...

This is so very sweet! That bed is perfect for her! I love how excited she got about it and I seriously melt at the thought of watching her on the baby monitor as she gets a book to read in bed. It's amazing how smart and independent she seems!

Christina Lea Loves said...

She looks like she's really loving the transition in that photo!!

Our Pretty Little Girls said...

Love! What a big girl she is and her bedding choice was seriously on point. So much to be proud of mama.

Kirsty and Seth said...

Ah, she looks so small in that big bed! I'm glad the transition went so smoothly!

Manning meanderings, mishaps and musings

Unknown said...

That's awesome! The transition for my daughter went shockingly well too! And I'm sure potty training will be a breeze when the time comes. Its better to wait until she is ready so she will do great! I love the drawers! Where did you get that bed? Its so cute!

Kimberly said...

Eeek!! So exciting! I'm just getting Axel off the paci this week and I'm thinking big boy bed next month. And then soon he'll be moving into BUNK BEDS with Olivia! I can't believe how grown up he is! And I always think Mia is Olivia's age haha, she always seems two steps ahead of Axel :)

Bright on a Budget said...

How adorable! I love the bedding she picked out. Kane is still into EVERYTHING, so I'm keeping him in his crib as long as I possibly can.haha

Tif
www.brightonabudget.com

Foxy's Domestic Side said...

That bedding is so girly and cute, I love it! We had the same experience when we transitioned our oldest...I thought it would be a nightmare, but nope 2 years late he still asks permission to leave his bed/bedroom.

Ashley Brickner said...

Yaaaay big girl! Best picture!

Laura Marie Keenan said...

Yay for such an easy transition!!! I'm sure she will be the best big sister and adapt easily!

hello erin said...

Awe! Yay Mia!! Lex has yet to push the limits with her bed freedom too! And we switched her years ago. So enjoy it mama ;)

Mandie said...

She looks so itty bitty on that bed. Ha! Such a little cutie. :)

Hannah said...

So glad the transition to her big girl bed has gone so smoothly! It's such a cute bed, who wouldn't want to sleep in it? I hope she continues sleeping perfectly in her bed for you! We switched a while back and it was a smooth transition for us as well ... and then a month before baby brother was due that all changed. Oi. I miss the days of him just laying his bed. :/

Courtney [Sweet Turtle Soup] said...

Yes Mia!! Woo hoo. We just switched Aria too and she has blown my mind. We also did potty training the day before the big girl bed because I'm insane apparently. But, she has done amazingly with each. I'm with you it feels like she aged 8 years this week. I've gotten sniffly playing with her in her room this week watching her flop around in her princess undies and hop in her bed. Big stuff!

allison_cooley3@hotmail.comson said...

Love the bed and comforter! Brylee will probably be 5 by the time I transition her from her crib. Kidding. Kind of. I'm sure Brylee will do fine eventually but she loves her crib and doesn't try to climb out. We will see I guess.

tina bumblebee said...

Aw I love her bed and her beddings!!! So pretty! And congrats on such an easy transition. I switched my daughter to a bed when she was around 2 and it went smoothly as well!

Traci@TheHallway said...

Oh the bed is so pretty though!! Yay mia!!

Post a Comment

i admit it. i LOVE hearing from you!