Wednesday, October 10, 2012

no Disney movies for my daughter!

A couple weeks ago my bestie and little bestie spent the weekend down south. That means they got to spend a night with me... yay! Ever since Eric and I got married we have slowly been collecting Disney movies. Each time one is released from the vault we buy it (as well as the other pixar movies we love... How to Train a Dragon is Eric's favorite movie. And Tangled might be mine. No judging!) so that when we have kids we'll have the movies! It was so fun buying Cinderella last week knowing that I will actually have my own little princess to watch the movie with :) Anyway, Lily wanted to watch a movie and she picked Mulan. Ashley told me Lily hadn't watched that one before and I was excited for her to see it! Eric and I love the music in Mulan. We always bust out singing, "Let's get down to business....." and I know we aren't the only ones who love that song :)
As Lily snuggled up on the floor with blankets and treats (again, don't judge! I'm not used to the idea of sticky, slimy fingers all over my couches just yet, ha ha!) Ashley and I sat and talked each others ears off! I heard the music begin in the scene when Mulan leaves her family to go be a soldier, when all the sudden I stopped paying attention to what Ashley was saying and I watched Lily to see her reaction to the part that was coming up. Wondering what part I'm talking about?


Yeah. That part. Freaking Disney! Don't they think about the ideas they will be putting in little girl's minds before writing out the script?? Anyway, Lily didn't seem to react when Mulan chopped her hair off. But she caught me staring at her and the first thing that comes out of her mouth is, "Mulan cut her hair!" So I paused the movie and gave her a stern talk that only Courtney cuts her hair! If Lily cuts her hair she'll be in big trouble because only Courtney cuts it. She agreed with me but I have been worried about her hair ever since she watched that movie! Why am I so worried? Because Lily has the most gorgeous head of hair ever.


My little bestie is one gorgeous girl! Wondering where she got all that hair?


Her mama! I know... we can all talk about how much we hate her because we are jealous of her hair later. Back to the story! Ashley sent me a text a couple days ago informing me that I might need to bring my scissors when I come visit because Lily cut her hair. I almost had a heart attack! (Again, no judging! I can be dramatic at times, ha!) Ashely had Lily call to tell me that she cut her hair all by herself. I tried to scold her but I could hear the fear in her voice as she apologized over and over again. I couldn't help it and I started laughing! Ashley took the phone away from Lily as fast as she could and scolded me for laughing because Lily's fear disappeared as soon as I did. Oops! Here's hoping I'll have the scolding thing down by the time my daughter needs it ;) Are you dying to know how bad Lily's chop job was? I know I was dying... and Ash waited 2 whole days to text me a picture.


Not bad! She must have learned a thing or two from her amazing hairstylist ;) But seriously. I'm so grateful she didn't cut a bigger chunk of hair, or go any shorter. Luckily this is an easy fix! It definitely could have been SO much worse! I just hope Lily doesn't try cutting her hair ever again!
And needless to say... I guess I'll be watching Disney movies all by myself while baby girl naps. Disney movies are a bad influence ;) ha ha!

34 comments:

Alana Christine said...

Ohmyword! I can't believe she did that!! lol. Luckily it wasn't that bad!

Whitney Leigh said...

I cut my hair when I was about five. Not because of Mulan, but because my friend and I were making bird's nests. and I cut a HUGE chunk off. my mom was pissed. haha

Cortney said...

haha awe! Little stinker, she's so cute though! I cut my hair with a pair of kitty cat scissors and told my mom it was because the kitty was just soo hungry--she was soo mad!!

Chelsea said...

I can't believe that! Haha!

Al said...

My sister did the same thing! But I'm not sure I can keep my future kids Disney free - I love them SOOO much!
xoxo

Jennifer said...

I'm a Disney maniac! That is too crazy!

Suget said...

Haha oh no!
That happened to my sister once, my neice cut her own hair and tried to hide it in the trash. I even tried cutting my hair when I was younger. But only because I seen other girls have short hair. haha

Jen said...

Oh wow that's so funny. I think it's hilarious so many kids do this at some point :D I still have major hair envy of them both!

Samantha said...

Oh how funny! I would be so upset if Amy decided to cut her own hair. P.S. we LOVE disney movies too and how to train your dragon is also my husbands fav. movie! lol small world

Carlie said...

That is cute that she tried to cut her hair. I remember doing that. She did a better job with hers because it looks like she was just wanting to add bangs, and I went more for a boy sailor look! haha

Ashley said...

Whew, that definitely wasn't too big a chunk of hair that she cut off all by herself. I never would have thought that a Disney movie would make a little girl want to cut off her hair... yikes!

Mandy@ a sorta fairytale said...

LOL every single little girl cuts their own hair at some point. lol. I did it, my sister did it, my nieces have all done it. It's just bound to happen- Disney movies or no Disney movies. ;-)

Ash said...

bahaha oh man... well, looks like naptime will be mommy disney movie time..

you know, i'm a nanny, so i've been rewatching all these disney movies...i definitely have some strong opinions.. like, why arent there more pocahontas movies? where the girl chooses family and adventure over a white man? haha im sure ill still force my children to watch allllll the movies though...

and, at least her hair isnt ALL chopped off, right? not too shabby, i'd say..

The Olive Tree Blog said...

haha oh no! so funny.

Amanda said...

Oh no! But the bangs do look pretty cute on her. I don't know what I would have done. Maybe she jsut wanted to look like her Aunt Courtney who has the sideswept bangs.

Charlie's Mommy (Beth) said...

My little girl has cut her hair twice. Thankfully it was never bad; however, what was priceless about the whole thing was that she was so proud and came in to show me she cut her hair while at home. I had to laugh (because getting angry wouldn't bring her hair back). Unfortunately, she did it at school too. Her teacher wasn't as forgiving as me. For weeks she would bring home these art pictures that had ripped edges and such. It was because her teacher wouldn't let her use scissors for fear of cutting her hair. When she got her scissor privileges back, she assure her teacher that she wouldn't be playing "beauty school".

kyna... said...

Lemme tell you about Disney movies hon! We've have tried to have Ellie watch a few, and it amazes me how scary they can be for a toddler! Even at Disneyland, every single "kiddie" ride in Fantasyland has a dark scary part to it. It blows my mind! We've gotten good at fast forwarding or stopping the Disney movies before the scary parts...Ellie just thinks each Disney movie is a short 20 min episode! lol!
♥ Kyna

Unknown said...

i'm sure you'll be safe to let your little girl watch disney movies. haha. even if she never sees that part in mulan she will still cut her hair, because that's just what little girls do. i think its like a right of passage or something. hahaha. something to look forward too, it's a lot of fun!

grlcreative.com.mx said...

adorable blog . so sweet!


adorable! :)

Estarer Accessories GIVEAWAY

Check out my blog :)

Jessica M. said...

When I was little I didn't think anything of what Disney put in their movies. Now that I watch them as an adult I just wonder what my kids are going to do if they watch them with the way our society is, haha! :)

Deveny said...

It's not really Disney - it's just kids in general. Back when I was around that little girl's age, I got a hold of scissors and did a number on my hair. Yea - I looked like a boy after that for a while until it grew out. That was loooong before Mulan.
:)

Keep the Disney - hide the scissors.

M & T Peterson said...

I love this post. I'm constantly worried about my girls and hair cutting. When I was little, I didn't cut my own hair, but my little sister's hair. It only a matter of time before Holynd......... :S I can't even think about it!

RadiantKristen said...

That's too funny! I never would have considered that a kid would cut their hair after watching Mulan!

dlpower said...

ok she is adorable! I hope my little girl is just as cute. Seriously. What a fun story!

Meesh said...

That's awesome!! My sister cut my hair once when we were young and I always decided I needed to cut my own bangs {yeah pulled them taunt and cut them where I wanted them to be lmbo!!} Yeah the whole hair thing -- good luck!! :) Ok done rambling!
-Meesh :)

That Girl said...

Did she cut it with a sword though? Because that would be impressive.

ajs {of MN} said...

Tangled is SO GOOOOOD!

Amy said...

Hahah that is too funny! She did a good job though.

When I was 7 I couldn't decide whether I wanted my bangs back or not...So I decided to cut half, and see what it looked like from each perspective. Um...There's no going back if you cut half bangs. Needless to say, I was shipped off to a hair stylist asap. Oopsies.

Shelley said...

I cut my own hair when I was a kid and blamed my cousin for doing it lol

Alexis Kaye said...

haha she's such a cute little girl :)

Hannah/ Mommarazzi said...

Her chop job turned out way cuter than my 5 year old chop job. she's lucky

Janna Renee said...

OMG that is too funny! I watched Disney movies and never cut my hair, but Mulan did come out when I was a lot earlier...Maybe stick to the real classics ;)

eliz said...

I've never seen that movie before...but actually someone was telling me how disney movies are not the best movies for girls....I didn't really look further into it but I guess character weaknesses and whatnot. I am really behind disney movies...the last new movie I saw was probably beauty and the beast! hahaha

Hilary said...

I never learned my lesson - I cut my hair repeatedly as a kid. I cut myself bangs over and over and over and they always looked horrible! There must be something about girls & cutting their own hair!

Post a Comment

i admit it. i LOVE hearing from you!