Thursday, October 9, 2014

hard work pays off

Just a random photo of me, showing off my gelato in the North End of Boston :)

Everybody has their battles and it's extremely important to keep that in mind to avoid passing judgement. I feel very blessed when I say I don't battle my body. I'm going to be straight up honest with this post- I love my body (post baby)! I think I love my body more than I ever have in my life! But I've also worked for this body harder since having Mia, than I ever have in my life.
So, how did I learn to love my post-pregnancy body? To keep up with my honest streak, there were times that I didn't like my body after having Mia. I was horrified to see the muffin top that never seemed to disappear. I now understand why women get boob jobs (ha ha, but seriously!) But I finally figured out that it's not about being a certain size or weighing a certain amount, it's about how I feel. I definitely started dressing differently to feel better about my new body. My pre-pregnancy jeans weren't flattering in the first 6 months, so I didn't fight it and I wore something that was flattering! I felt good being in public, even if no one else knew what I looked like under my clothes. But digging deeper than my outward appearance... how I felt on the inside is what mattered most!
When Mia was born I chose to nurse her. Knowing that everything I consumed, she would consume as well, I changed my eating habits. I sucked down my last Dr Pepper just minutes after she was born, then I gave up soda (mainly because I was worried the caffeine would affect her, but now it gives me a stomach ache if I indulge in more than a couple sips). We jumped on the green smoothie train and I did everything in my power to eat enough fruits, veggies and protein to help benefit Mia's immune system. From there my diet changed even more as I discovered what made me feel good, and what didn't. My diet isn't right for everyone, so I won't tell you it's my way or the highway! But I feel good because I'm eating good, and my body thanks me for it!
I didn't stress about working out (okay, maybe I did, but I didn't workout until I got the "okay") those first 6 weeks of Mia's life. I owed it to myself to heal properly before adding more physical stress to my body. I started off slow instead of diving in to running 6 miles, because my body couldn't handle it, but I did establish a routine/habit of working out 5-6 days a week. I listened to my body and as I grew stronger, I worked harder. I can do more push ups and more pull ups than I ever have in my life, and I'm a mom!! I feel strong, I feel healthy, I feel good! That's why I love my post-pregnancy body.
I hope you'll link up and share your thoughts, motivation and insight on this topic! xoxo

Oct 9:     Learning to love your post-pregnancy body
Oct 16:   Busy Toddler Activities
Oct 23:   Keeping in Shape While Caring for a Toddler
Oct 30:   Sick Day Tips
Nov 6:    How to Not Lose Your Patience with your Toddler
Nov 13:  Favorite Toddler Outings
A Mommy App

19 comments:

Jamie @ The Jamie's + 1 said...

You look great! Love you story and that you did what was best for Mia!

Ashley Brickner said...

Girl - you look amazing!!!!! Love your honesty, as always!!

Kristen said...

you look fabulous, and i honestly hope my post baby (i'm not even pregnant lol) is the same, and i know if i nurse i will want to eat better than i do now. but i gave up soda about a month a half ago because i want to be completely over it before i get pregnant.

Kelly Mock said...

So inspiring! I am still working on it!

BLovedBoston said...

First of all I love the photo DUH!!! Such a great message to love yourself with how you feel not how you look - we say it so often but it's not enough sometimes!!

eliz said...

I wish I could say the same. While I was doing great at losing the weight in the beginning....life got so busy with work and finishing up grad school that I slacked off last school year. I gained some lbs. It doesn't look like much because I am petite...but I want to feel great in my body...hmmm I am going to have to do something about it!

~Dawn~ said...

You look amazing!!! What a beautiful post and message to all women!

Pamela {Sequins and Sea Breezes} said...

Great post girl!!!

<3, Pamela
sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

you are gorg!! Nursing saved.my.life (well body) but hoping it goes well this time around too! I love sweets too much to ever give them up so working out is a must after the babe is here too.

Sarah said...

Great post! Yes for loving post pregnancy body! Yes for working hard and putting good food in your body.

Hannah said...

You look great! I wish I could make myself work out like you do! I always seem to come up with excuses though ... it's just not a favorite thing to do for me. At least I'm pretty good about watching what I eat :) I'm so glad you shared this, I've always thought your work-out schedule to be inspiring :)

Brittany said...

You're a total rock star. That's so great that you feel BETTER THAN EVER! Dr. Pepper is my weakness - I'm not sure I could ever give it up!

Amanda {Tickled Pink} said...

Such a fabulous message! I'm with ya, I feel more confident post pregnancy than I did before having Lily. There is just something about knowing what your body can do that makes it so beautiful. I also cleaned up my diet while I was pregnant and nursing which I'm sure has helped mentally as well as physically! Thanks for sharing mama!

Katie Elizabeth said...

I totally agree with everyone, you look so great! I haven't had kids yet but just thinking about all of the changes to your body does make me nervous. BUT it's also kind of really amazing what our bodies go through and we shouldn't be so hard on them!!

Kathleen said...

You look amazing, and I love your story!

We formula fed so I didn't have to worry about what I ate at first but now that the girls are starting to eat solid foods I want to make sure my husband and I are good examples so we started clean eating on Monday. I hope I can be a good example for B&B like you are for Mia!

Karina Marie Powell said...

I love everything about this. So honest and so true! It's hard work and it's all worth it! I'm so proud of you for the soda thing! That's so hard for some people! I have never been a soda lover but some people are seriously addicted! You look amazing and you are such an inspiration! XO

Erin LFF said...

You go momma!!! While I obviously haven't had a child, I'm getting to a point where I'm finally starting to like my body again. I've got a long way to go, but now that I'm actually lifting weights and getting stronger, I'm feeling so much better!! :)

Nina Robinson said...

You look great post-baby! This post makes me want to workout AND eat some gelato - thanks ;)

Elizabeth [Chasin' Mason] said...

Love your honesty! And think you look amazing!
We've been making a conscious effort to eat better and while I don't really notice it on a daily basis, when I went out to dinner so many times for my birthday, I could definitely tell! My stomach hurt after indulging in one too many meals out. Crazy how your body can get used to something so fast and rebel against you so fast. Everything in moderation and you're good to go :) Looking good mama!

Post a Comment

i admit it. i LOVE hearing from you!