Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mesa Verde 2011 (adventure #1)

We went to Mesa Verde around Thanksgiving time 2009.  That was my first time seeing these ancient cliff dweller ruins and it was amazing!  But we weren't able to see everything because it was winter and some trails were closed.  So we (me, Eric, and my parents) spent the day here and had a great time!  Minus the ticket.... sorry Dad!
There were a couple museums with ancient Indian artifacts!
This is the Spruce Tree home.  You can see more pictures from our 2009 adventure here.
The Balcony House

What if this was your view every day?!  Crazy!
We got to do a fun hike to go see the Balcony House.  We had to climb ladders (one was 3 stories high), crawl through tunnels (tiny tunnels), and go up and down a billion stairs.  Booooooy was I feeling out of shape!
Did you notice those little windows in the ruins?  Those were actually their doors.  Crazy!  The Puebloans were very small people.  They only grew to about 5 ft.  And they lived very short, hard lives.  35 was the average age of death.  Can you imagine?  10 more years and Eric would be considered the elderly, if he were still alive.  It is so interesting to learn the different ways of life.  I am so grateful to be living in our time :)
the Cliff Palace
Cliff Palace was HUGE!  There was at least 200 people living in this at one time.  It was just amazing for me to see these ruins.  The trails were pretty steep and tricky in some parts.  But the Puebloans didn't have trails.  They built these cliff dwelling homes by climbing up and down the slick walls with their finger and toe holes.  This was just amazing, and I'm so grateful we got to go again!

p.s.  Blogger still won't let me leave comments.  Those of you who are able to comment...what's your trick?!  I'm feeling deprived here :)

32 comments:

Unknown said...

Your pictures are amazing! It looks like an awesome trip!

m&msmommy said...

Awesome pictures!!!! My first thought when I saw that picture of Eric at the top of the stairs was, "Wow, that looks like a tiny space!" It made me claustrophobic just looking at it (I'm SUPER scared of small spaces! EEKKK! :)) But it looks like you guys had a great time!

I loved reading your post about your grandparents! SEVENTY SEVEN YEARS of marriage, that is amazing!

Glad I can finally comment again! :)

Hope your week is going well! :)

Tiffany said...

Gorgeous pictures!! On our honeymoon, we saw some Mayan ruins in Mexico and they were just amazing.

I wasn't able to comment for a while either. Then I downloaded Firefox as my web browser and voila! I can comment again. =)

tifsong said...

I love that place. i ventured there with my family in like 6th grade. maybe i should go back...

Sharstin said...

Wow, what a fantastic trip, looks amazing:)

Ashley said...

WOW...amazing pictures! That place looks so cool :)

Shay said...

I love your pictures- that place looks like so much fun and I love the facts you threw in there. I can't imagine only living to 35 being the norm!

I noticed that I can leave comments when people have a popup window or when I can comment anonomously...stinks!

Laura said...

Thanks for your cute comments, I am glad you found me. :) You and your blog are so cute! Mesa Verde is amazing, I went there once when I was a kid and now I want to go back and show the hubby. Looks like you guys had such a great day there!!

Tatiana said...

That looks SO amazing! I've never been, but it's def. on my list now :-)
I'm so glad blogger let you leave me some love, gorgeous lady :-) You really know how to make a girl feel good!

monster cakes said...

Blogger is on and off with me on that. ARG! This is totally off topic, but can I just say that you have the most amazing hair. I'm mesmerized each time I see it. haha And LOVE the side pony. Ok that's all. : )

mary said...

HOW cool is your adventure?! I would love to go there! And loving the slightly side pony! xox!

Denise said...

I had to download firefox also.. My internet explorer 9 update killed my entire internet so I replaced it :)

Looks like a very pretty place!!

Haley said...

What an adventure!! Looks like you're in another country! what an amazing place...and the people that lived there maxed out at 5 feet?? We'd be fine there! my hubs is 5' 7" and i'm 5' 5", ha! ;)

oomph. said...

looks and sounds like a great experience! i haven't travelled much since the minis, so thanks for aloowing me to visit thru your photos!!

rockoomph.blogspot.com

Vivian said...

What a cool place!!! I've never heard of it. Definitely a must when I head that way. Great pictures and thank you so much for stopping by :)

LesleyRH said...

What an amazing looking place!

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

Wow that looks amazing. What a neat place to visit

Jessica said...

I love Mesa Verde! Looks like such a fun time :)

Natalie said...

I'm so jealous! I know my husband and I would love to visit there!

Megan said...

That looks really awesome! I'd love to go visit there. You took great pics!

fabulousamy said...

That looks so fun. So glad you got to go again:)

Natalie DeVore said...

I found your blog! heheheheh. That only sounds a little creepy. What a fun weekend you had! Great pictures! :-)

Abby said...

I looooove that place! It is so much fun!

Jessie said...

Thanks for your sweet comments!

Isn't mesa verde so amazing! Looks like you had a blast!

Mallory said...

That looks like tons of fun!! Sean would love it!

Monica said...

Ok first, y'all are the darn cutest couple ever!! Love your blog! And second, you remind me of miranda lambert, which is a compliment because I lovee her! Lol =D

Antoinette Musik said...

WOW absolutely amazing photos. I wanna go there!!!

meme-and-he said...

looks like a blast! Your hair always looks so lovely :)

Megan said...

Oh my gosh, gorgeous pictures!! I want to go there...with y'all, of course!! : ) Haha. Let's just live as neighbors and be bff!

andy & lo said...

whoa those ruins look so cool!
AND NO, your comment was not TMI.
that was exactly how my husband felt.
he was secretly hoping i WAS pregnant... BUSTED. haha

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

Look at all these fun places you got to go visit!!! I want to go!!!

Kristen Thornburg said...

Incredible!! Thanks for sharing!!

Post a Comment

i admit it. i LOVE hearing from you!