Friday, April 22, 2011

lesson learned

Advice:  do NOT set the bar too high when it comes to birthday gifts for the hubs.  What do I mean?  Well, when we celebrated Eric's birthday in our first year of marriage (April 2009) I gave him the best present ever.  Seriously.  Have you ever heard of Barrett-Jackson car auctions?!  Make that the world's greatest collection car auctions.  Eric is so into hot rods, muscle cars, almost anything you can rebuild so I knew I had to get him tickets to this car show!  So, April 18, 2009 Eric opened his gift and was so surprised when he saw tickets to Barrett-Jackson!  I instantly won the coolest wife ever award :) (Best part? Tickets were cheap!)
In October 2009 (yeah, we had to wait a few months for the car show haha) we headed down to Vegas!  We stayed at the Mandalay Bay where the event was taking place, and we had the funnest weekend ever!

Eric' chillin' in our room, checking out events for the next day.  He was like a little boy on Christmas Eve night.  So excited.
The camaro was not available yet so this was a big deal! 
We looked at cars for hours (or what felt like hours haha, but I was a good sport!) then headed outside.  We were surprised to find out we got to drive some pretty awesome cars!  Lucky us! 
Side note: before driving the cars we had to take a breathalyzer test and I instantly felt guilty (even though we weren't drinking ha) and was super giggly.  Eric breathed into it and the guy didn't even check, he just let him through.  When I breathed into it he sat there and watched it until it cleared haha.  Awkward.  Haha!  I've never even tasted alcohol!  Apparently I can act like I've been drinking, or I just acted guilty haha!
We each drove the camaro through a course they had set up.

Eric's famous picture...SO HOT!
Race car driver's took us for a spin in the new model (well new back then, it was the 2010 model) corvette.  So crazy and fun!  They flew through the course and drifted around corners!
We got to take these porsche's for a drive, then traded places with race car drives and they drifted through the course.  SO FUN!
After the car show we went shopping, ate yummy CheeseCake Factory, and went swimming!  (Mandalay Bay has the funnest pool, aka the Beach!)  Such a fun weekend! 

Ask me what I got Eric for his birthday last year...
I know.  Coolest wife ever award down to what-the-crap-is-this-lazy-wifey award.  Just kidding :)  Seriously, there's just no competing though!  (Although, it is a nice watch..haha!)  No worries, I made up for it this year with his gun..
Don't mind his work clothes, we went shooting as soon as he was off work!

So, if you can help it, don't give him the best birthday gift he could ever imagine in your first year of marriage.  Everything else will just be down hill from there!  Hahaha!  To be fair, Eric was such a good sport about the watch, he'd really been wanting it for a long time!  He's always a good sport! :)

19 comments:

m&msmommy said...

Wow, you are super thoughtful and that first gift was AWESOME! I have no creativity when it comes to gifts and my husband can probably vouch for that! :) BUT he has my love, isn't that enough?????? ;)

Have a great weekend! :)

meme-and-he said...

dannggg girl coming up with the best gifts ever!!!! oh, this is so hard...I have tried to get hubs the best gifts...sometimes it works out, and sometimes he says, "its the thought that counts!"

Rissy said...

I think sometimes gifts just have to fit the time and place... you got the tickets and had a great time! and then next year Eric needed to know the time. And this year... well I can't work "time" into the gun gift hahaha

I still think you are a ridiculously cool wife because my future hubs will NEVER be getting a gun from me. Although if he already had one when we got married, I'd possibly feel safer at night. Just sayin' ; )

CarissaExplainsItAll

Jillian said...

aww I think all of the gifts are great! the fact that you think about him is what really matters

Tatiana said...

My husband wants to go to he barret jackson show too, and I've been thinking about surprising him.
First christmas we had together I surprised him with Nascar tickets (He is a huge fan!), and I have never been able to top that excitement ever since, so I totally understand where you're coming from.
I think boys are so hard to shop for!

P! said...

Sure beats the DVDs and road trips I do for my hubby's birthday. Cute post- it's fun to take a trip down memory lane, isn't it?? :) Happy Easter weekend, by the way!!

Sharstin said...

so you are so super cute! how flipping fun! happy weekend chick!

Madeline Elizabeth said...

You guys are so cute!
You make me smile every time i read a post!

Raven said...

What a super good wifey you are :) Question is, does he also give you amazing bday presents?

Jessica said...

My husband spends HOURS watching the Barrett-Jackson car auction...you definitely deserve best wife award for that birthday gift :) Thanks for visiting my blog! Your words totally made my day!

from head 2 toe said...

It's so true! Thanks for the follow- you guys live a fun life! Can't wait for more posts!!

Abby said...

Aw, thanks for stopping by my blog! Love yours as well, your posts are hilarious!! I can totally relate to setting a low bar for gift giving. You want to only be able to go up! haha

Megan said...

Oh my gosh, you are not a bad or lazy wife!! The gifts fit each season that y'all were going through!! He will love them all!

Gertrude said...

My boyfriend would love the first gift! I'm sure your husband still loves and appreciates the others. The gifts I give to my boyfriend are much much much worse, cause we're both still students and so we buy things that we need instead :)

Liesl said...

Too cute and what great advice...although I still think you are the best wife ever will all your fabulous gifts!!! I hope he had a very Happy Birthday and it looks like he did and loves everything you give him! I hope you both have a Happy Easter!

Liesl :)

Liesl said...

Too cute and what great advice...although I still think you are the best wife ever will all your fabulous gifts!!! I hope he had a very Happy Birthday and it looks like he did and loves everything you give him! I hope you both have a Happy Easter!

Liesl :)

jenna ♥ a little blue said...

hahah this totally made me laugh. i feel like i have done that before too. me and my mister have been together 10 years... and this year will be our 4 year wedding anniversary. i feel like sometimes i get him the most amazing gifts... and then the next year it's totally down hill!

i bet he loves both just the same because they came from you! :)

happy easter weekend! xx

Elizabeth @ Love Is the Adventure said...

I can completely and totally relate to this. The first year we were married, I got Kyle his first ipod (back when ipods were still pretty rare). The second year, I had a special Irish tartan kilt ordered for him to honor his family heritage. And every gift after that has felt like slipping downhill! I've lost count of how many birthdays we've spent together and my gifts lately seem so LAME compared to how hard I used to work to get something super unique! I love your gift idea and the pictures made me smile. Great post!

Christy said...

3 Things:

1. I LOVE that you have never tasted alcohol! I personally cannot say the same, and I don't necessarily believe that the simple act of having a drink or two is sinful, BUT I think it's AMAZING that you've gotten this far in life, through all the peer pressure junk of growing up, without ever having a drink!

2. I always make sentimental gifts for my husband (usually in addition to expensive things, let's be real) and now that we've been together for a while I'm running out of ideas! His birthday is coming up and I have NO ideas!!!

3. Guns are always a winning choice. Every. Time. haha!

Post a Comment

i admit it. i LOVE hearing from you!