Thursday, March 24, 2011

grandparents

I grudgingly rolled out of bed at 6 am to go pack Eric's lunch (like I do every morning for him.  Such a good wifey.  Ha!  Kidding... this is how I get him to eat his fruits and veggies!) and realized I was smelling eggs and bacon!  The ONLY time I smell eggs and bacon that early in the morning (ok... it's more like 7 in the morning but still!  So early!) is at grandma and grandad's.  Can I tell you just how badly I wished I really was at their home?!  I have never craved my grandparent's like this before.  That sounds really weird but I just don't know how else to explain it haha.  My sweet grandparent's are 95 and 96 years old!
They hate having their picture taken, haha they've had over 90 years of this!
I have the best memories of visiting them!  My favorite memories are eating tons of good food and playing canasta and zilch (you probably know this game as farkle) all night long!!  The only times I've heard my grandma swear was while playing canasta, it's cause my family cheats :)  But not me.  Never me! ;)  When I was little I'd snuggle with my grandad in the recliner listening to everyone play canasta, I couldn't wait til I was old enough to play!  Oh I miss them so much!
I wish I would've visited them more!  I hate how adult responsibilities, jobs, time, money (as in gas prices...gah!!  Who else is fed up with gas prices?!) get in the way of playing!  I'm still learning how to find balance with all these adult responsibilities but I think family is such an important one to throw into the balance.  I'm hoping we can plan a trip to visit grandma and grandad in the next few months or I know I'll regret not going.  While we're at it, we'll plan a visit to my other grandparen'ts who live 40 minutes away.  Oh yes, I'm horrible!  But like I said, I'm learning to balance.  I will be better about this!  And I just have to say, I'm blessed to have the most amazing family!  I love everyone SO much! :)

15 comments:

Madeline Elizabeth said...

Aww!! They sound so sweet!

Amy said...

Very sweet post -- definitely plan a trip. I've heard the name farkle -- what is it?! And-- seriously a bloggers meet up would actually be soo fun.

Crowley Family said...

Cory is not much of a breakfast person unless it's made by Grandma, and she sure does make good food :)

mary said...

Grandparents are Magic! xox!

Whim Wham Life said...

This is precious! Such sweet memories. Grandparents are such special relationships to have, and yours are adorable! xoxo

Megan said...

Awwww, this is so sweet! I am definitely with you on this. We have lots of family that lives within two hours and we do not see them often enough. Work and other obligations just get in the dang way. I will be better, too!!

Shay said...

They look/sound adorable! I have been craving a visit with my grandparents lately as well. We need to cherish the time we have with family while we can:-) Love the photo!

Janine van Staden said...

They sound and look so sweet! Family is the greatest thing on earth! :)

Renee said...

Oh what a lovely post, you are so sweet!

Antoinette Musik said...

Your grandparents are absolutely adorable and look AMAZING for their age!!!

monster cakes said...

Oh right, my funny story... So my husband's dad and step mom are the two most awkward people I've ever met. I don't do well around awkward people like that as it always results in me having word vomit and talking too much. Anyway, when they had us over for dinner for the first time, they made BBQ and corn. When we all sat down to eat, I grabbed my corn on the cob and started rolling it in the stick of butter sitting on a plate near me. I thought EVERYONE rolled their corn?!?! It got real quiet so I looked up and found them staring at me with wide eyes. APPARENTLY the butter was for the rolls and they have never seen anyone roll their corn in butter. They lived under a rock I decided. Needless to say, I tried to "fix it" by getting more word vomit, and husband did nothing to save me because he found it so funny. It was horrifying and painfully awkward the rest of dinner. Your story probably beats mine, but I know the feeling! haha

Haylee Caplin said...

What a nice tribute to your grandparents. I sure love mine, they are great! Living in your 90s is pretty dang good!

A "cheery" disposition said...

love this post. it makes me miss my grandparents. I need to go visit them soon.

kebowman said...

aw! this is precious!! love your blog girl!

come see me!
www.krystalbowman.blogspot.com

The Terry's said...

i know what you mean. i live 20 mins. away from my grandma and i get so busy with running around, and taking care of stuff around the house i forget about my grandma. maybe once summer gets here things will slow down and you can relax and go see them.

Post a Comment

i admit it. i LOVE hearing from you!